First Presbyterian Church in Alton is seeing a part-time organist to provide professional leadership for our ministry of music. The organist will support our church’s music ministry consistent with our mission and vision statements, theology, and worship practices. We value a standard of music excellence that connects with our community and attracts people to the church.
Skills and qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred but not required) in organ with an organist/organ performance emphasis or equivalent experience.
- Experienced player of pipe organ in a church setting. The organ at First Presbyterian was built by Robert Dial Organbuilders in 1991. It has three manuals, 45 ranks, floating chamade and 32′ sub-bass (elec.) The console is moveable and has 8 levels of memory
- Skilled sight reader and accompanist for instrumental and choral ensembles.
- Possess a broad repertoire of church music representing various styles and cultures.
- Values music that is congregational (falls naturally into the flow of worship).
- Works collegially and demonstrates good interpersonal skills.
- Has basic computer literacy including Office products, specifically e-mail, Word, and Excel documents.
- The part-time organist will provide professional leadership for our ministry of music.
- The organist will support our church’s ministry consistent with our mission and vision statements, theology and worship practices.
- Select and provide organ music for worship services and other special services such as Lenten Worship, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Tenebrae, Easter, Christmas Eve, and others as requested.
- Accompany congregation members and choirs.
- Rehearse and accompany special musicians including choral and instrumental ensembles, soloists and choirs.
- Provide organ music for wedding and funerals when called upon.
- Ensure adequate coverage of rehearsals, worship services, and musical offerings.
- Maintain and secure organ and pianos, including scheduling organ maintenance and piano tuning.
- Be present for all major liturgical holidays.
- Sit on Worship & Music Committee and attend that committee’s meetings.
- Participate in weekly church staff meetings and work closely with staff and worship planning group making sure they have needed information for bulletins and equipment for musical events.
- Other duties as assigned by the Pastor.
Contact Vickie Oberlink 618-791-2565 or email First Presbyterian Church of Alton at email@example.com