Trinity Presbyterian Church is seeking a Director of Music. The Director of Music is responsible for the supervision, development, and direction of all music ministries at Trinity. The Director of Music is also responsible for accompanying choral and corporate singing on piano, and if possible, organ on Sunday mornings during our 10 a.m. worship service and any additional special services. The Director will strive to support the overall mission of the congregation by fostering a sense of community that promotes the fellowship and spiritual growth of our members.
As a congregation, music is central to our life and worship. Music and Worship consists of traditional hymns and anthems, additionally we value a wide range of musical styles. The choir consists of volunteer members of the church as well as 4 paid section leaders. We have a Casavant organ with 3-manuals and 47 ranks, 4 octaves of handbells, a
Baldwin baby grand piano in the sanctuary, and other pianos located in the Chapel and music room.
Weekly Time Commitment & Compensation:
● Part-time salaried position with an average of 20 hours a week; more during Advent and Lenten seasons
● Vacation: 2 weeks paid vacation,1 week paid continuing education, annually
● Salary: $26,000 – $30,000
○ Experience as a Director of Music or vocal and instrumental music direction.
○ Experience in appropriate music selection for the service of worship.
○ Familiarity with Presbyterian Church (USA) worship is desired.
○ Good verbal and written communication skills.
○ Effective planning and organizational skills.
○ Familiarity with and willingness to explore a wide variety of sacred music
○ Flexibility to consider, assess, and implement new and innovative methods and
programs to enhance the music ministry and worship of the church.
Proficiency in piano preferred.
○ Some experience in organ desired.
○ Some experience in handbells desired.
● Plan music for all worship services, including special services (Advent, Christmas Eve, Holy Week, Easter, etc.) in collaboration with the Pastor/ Head of Staff and the Worship and Music Committee.
● Lead and accompany choir and congregation in Sunday morning worship and special services (Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, etc.).
● Adult choir: accompany and conduct choir rehearsals; currently Thursday evenings 7:15-9:15 p.m.
● Bell choir: conduct/support others in conducting rehearsals; currently Thursday evenings 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
● Children’s musical participation: create opportunities, especially around Advent/Easter, for children and youth to participate in the music program.
● Schedule substitute musicians to cover vacations or when the choir is on summer hiatus.
● Recruit new members for vocal and instrumental choirs.
● In consultation with the personnel committee and Head of Staff, recruit, hire and supervise choral section leaders as needed.
● Recommend and ensure the maintenance and repair of church instruments and resources including the organ, pianos, bells, robes, etc..
● Maintain the music library, One License, and order new music as needed.
● Attend weekly staff meetings: currently Wed. at 10:00 a.m.
● Attend monthly Worship and Music Committee meetings: currently the third Wednesday of the month.
● Other responsibilities as assigned by the Pastor/ Head of Staff and/or Committees.
○ Weddings and funerals are not considered part of the regular duties of the Director of
Music. However, the Director of Music will have the right of first refusal for weddings and
funerals conducted at the church and may charge a fee for his/her/their services.
The Director of Music will demonstrate professional behaviors including treating others with dignity and respect, conducting professional activities with truthfulness, honesty and integrity and acting as a positive role model for Trinity Presbyterian Church. Membership at Trinity Presbyterian Church is not required.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Expires Feb 1, 2024