Christ Church Cathedral seeks enthusiastic, self-driven applicants for the part-time position of Music Director & Organist.
The Music Director & Organist will own responsibility for all aspects of musical life in the Cathedral.
As the Music Director, this position involves, among other things:
- directing one or more Cathedral choirs (including recruiting, training, rehearsing, and conducting),
- supervising Cathedral musicians, including choral section leaders,
- selecting liturgical music, especially from diverse music traditions ranging from Anglican musical tradition and chant to contemporary pop and Gospel,
- timely submission of all music for inclusion in worship bulletins working two weeks ahead,
- managing and adhering to copyright and licensing rights,
- overseeing the maintenance of the Cathedral’s instruments, music library, and choir vestments,
- coordinating and exploring with the choir and congregation a wide variety of expressions of music at the Cathedral,
- overseeing the maintenance of the Cathedral’s instruments,
- preparing and submit the annual draft music ministry budget,
- managing the final music budget, and
- performing any other duties mutually agreed upon by the Dean and the Music Director & Organist.
As the Organist, this position involves providing music for worship, including Sunday services, Major Holy Days (if scheduled), weddings, funerals, confirmations, ordinations, and other diocesan services. The Music Director & Organist is responsible for securing a substitute if unavailable for any of the above.
As a member of the Cathedral staff, the Music Director & Organist will participate in weekly general staff meetings, semi-annual staff-planning sessions, and regular meetings with the Dean among other duties.
This is a part-time position (18 hours a week, which includes rehearsals and services) that will be governed by a contract/letter of agreement reviewed annually with a mutual ministry performance review. Compensation will be based on experience, training, and education, with an annual salary within the approximate range of $42,000 to $45,000. Vacation, substitutions, and other considerations are negotiable.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and list of references to cathedral Dean Kathie Adams-Shepherd at firstname.lastname@example.org