Samuel United Church of Christ, a warm, welcoming congregation with a relaxed traditional worship style and a progressive theology is seeking a part-time Minister of Music. We are searching for a flexible person with energy and enthusiasm who views choir as a small group ministry and wants to help us further develop our gifts.
- Select sacred music for each worship service, in cooperation with the Pastor.
- Provide music leadership for worship (i.e., each Sunday at 10:00am and special services on Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Christmas Eve, etc.) including rehearsing and directing the choir, soloists, or ensembles; playing gathering music, prelude, and postlude; accompanying hymns; and supervising other service music.
- Conduct weekly rehearsal of the Adult Choir, soloists, or ensembles (currently rehearsals have been on Thursdays at 6:30pm). During the summer months an alternate rehearsal schedule may be used.
- Support those leading Vacation Bible School, the Children’s Christmas program, intergenerational worship services, and other special events and services.
- Play for weddings and funerals, when available (additional compensation shall be paid for these events).
- Recruit and encourage choir members and instrumentalists.
- Organize and expand the music library, drawing from a variety of musical styles.
- Obtain performance permissions as required (CCLI and other licenses).
- Administer the music budget. Expenditures shall not exceed the budgeted funds without prior approval of the Consistory. In consultation with the Pastor, make recommendations to the Consistory for use of the special music funds.
- Arrange for maintenance, tuning and repair of the organ and pianos. Report their condition and need for repair to the Pastor and the Property Committee. Weekly monitoring of the piano humidifier.
- Be proactive in enlisting guest musicians and in seeking opportunities for cooperative music ventures with other area churches.
- Arrange for hiring a substitute musician when on vacation or sick leave.
- Attend church staff meetings (currently weekly).
- Willingness to participate in professional development.
- Pastor is the primary supervisor.
- Responsible to the Consistory.
- Participate in the life of the congregation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of music literature appropriate for Christian worship.
- Demonstrated musical skills in piano playing and choral conducting for worship services. Singing and organ playing are not required, but are desired.
- Appreciation of the flow of a worship service.
- Ability to lead, listen, and get along with people of all ages.
Hours & Benefits
- Approximately 12-15 hours per week.
- Salary range of $19,000 to $23,000 based on experience
- Office space, computer access and supplies provided.
- Four weeks of paid vacation per year, (4 Sundays) to be scheduled in consultation with the Pastor.
- Eligible for up to two Sundays of paid sick leave per year.
- Eligible for continuing education benefit.
- Health insurance and pension benefits are not provided.
Interested parties please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org