The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration in Lake St. Louis, Missouri seeks a parttime
Music Director responsible for the music during worship services. The Music Director
will work under the direction of and in collaboration with the Rector. This position
requires one who is musically talented, flexible, creative, and organized. The candidate
must know sacred choral music, hymns, organ repertoire, and Episcopal liturgical
practices. The candidate must possess the ability to lead, teach, sing, and encourage
and inspire musical participation.
The Music Director will:
1. Prepare and provide musical accompaniment, and provide leadership and direction
for Sunday services, which include prelude/postlude, hymns, and service
music. Additional services include Holy Week, Christmas, and other special
occasions such as weddings and funerals.
2. Select hymns and service music in collaboration with the Rector. Available resources
include the three Episcopal hymnals and other approved music.
3. Play the organ and piano proficiently for accompaniment of hymns as well as
anthems, solos, and prelude/postlude music. Must be able to sight-read.
4. Demonstrate an ability to lead congregational singing, teach new hymns, and
reintroduce the congregation to the joy of singing, with a goal to reestablish and
sustain a choir.
5. Spend the necessary time in preparation and rehearsal to ensure a high-quality
6. Develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with
7. Tend to administrative matters as needed, such as planning for the church year,
ordering music, maintaining the music library, communicating in a timely manner,
and supplying information for worship bulletins, newsletters, and publicity.
8. Spend approximately 8 to 12 hours per week to fulfill the responsibilities.
A Bachelor of Music degree is preferred with a minimum of 3 years of experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to the Rector,
the Rev. Lu-Anne Conner, at firstname.lastname@example.org