The First Congregational Church (United Church of Christ), Webster Groves, Missouri, announces an opening for the position of Director of Music and Organist (DMO). This is a 30-hour per week position, working closely with the pastor and other professional staff for the development of worship in keeping with our liberal theology and a wide variety of musical tastes and abilities. The DMO, in addition to accompanying Sunday worship and special services on keyboards such as our Casavante Freres pipe organ, conducts the church’s Chancel and Handbell choirs, maintains our extensive music library, and supervises an assistant in charge of children’s music. The DMO also has primary responsibility for the expenditure of music funds and organizes occasional non-worship music events.
- Proficiency in music performance and accompaniment of congregational singing.
- Mastery with a pipe organ.
- Interest and skill in a variety of musical styles.
- Experience as a director of voice and bell choirs (preferred).
- Background in liturgical music and worship planning in a progressive Christian theology.
- Ability to work with and within a prescribed budget.
- Capacity for meeting deadlines (good time management skills).
Compensation includes a salary commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package.